.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

January 20, 2005

Bringing Together Beauty & Billboards

While it has been and continues to be my goal to focus on sports, pop culture, and create a site for diversions from the drudgery of the day, I have some ideas regarding a local issue that I would appreciate input on.

As most everyone knows by now (if I know then it must be old news), the Greensboro City Council, and the Guilford County Commissioners have been battling about Painter boulevard and the ‘scenic corridor’ that some want.

I should clearly state at this time that I do not know everything about this topic, as it is one that has not drawn my interest. However, in a nutshell as I understand it is that some do not want to have billboards on the Urban Loop / Painter Blvd. Personally, I don’t care about billboards. It is a marketing medium that companies like to utilize, and depending on what reports you want to read, they are an effective tool. It also allows the landowners to create a revenue stream off their land. As long as they are paying taxes on the revenues generated, then in my mind it is a win for everyone as revenue is generate for the advertiser, the company that places the billboard, the land owner that allows the billboard on their property, the city/county (in tax revenue), and the consumer who was inspired to buy / shop at the company advertised.

Since some want this to be a scenic corridor with limited or no billboards, the sides are at obvious opposite sides of the argument, but what if there was a middle ground? Driving on HWY 70 between Stoney Creek and Greensboro the other day I say a billboard titled “Art In The Air”. It was a picture on a billboard and was sponsored by Lorillard Tobacco. It was a different concept and definitely caught my eye.

Why doesn’t a politician suggest this as an alternative to the squabbling that is now occurring over this issue? Instead of billboards in the sense that we know them today what if we took the “Art In The Air” concept mainstream? I envision selecting local artists work and then the work is prominent on the billboard with the sponsoring company having space for logo / directions / other information that is less obtrusive. It seems to me that this would allow for the billboards to be put to use, but in a way that was not as unsightly as they are traditionally viewed. This is just a rambling thought on this issue, and I am sure poorly worded, but it seems like a good idea as I type this.

So please fellow Bloggers let me know what you think. Does this even merit further consideration? Is it a feasible concept? Has it already been proposed? It seems to me that it could be a good start at reaching a compromise. The capitalism gets to continue, but in a way that supports local artists, and keeps some form of beauty (of course the works are open to interpretation) on the billboards providing a new definition of a ‘scenic corridor’.

I hope this creates some interesting discussion over time, and I promise to get back to information that requires less thought soon.

1 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger Jack Naka said...

Keep it up. I enjoy your nice blog. check out my winter`s beauty site. It pretty much covers winter`s beauty related stuff.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home