.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

January 31, 2005

Duke Alum Can't Close Deal

After 5 days of golf in Palm Springs, most golfers would be thrilled about the experience that it provided them. For the players on the PGA tour only one is truly happy. This year it is Justin Leonard who shot a final round 67 to overtake Duke Alum Joe Ogilvie. While I am sure Ogilvie is disappointed in the finish, a man who lists Warren Buffet and Bill Gates as his heroes will no doubt put his $413,600.00 winnings to good use.

However, the biggest story from this past week’s event is not the winner, but rather the player who finished last this week. From British Open champion David Duval shot 30 over par for the first 4 rounds and proceeded to miss the cut by 41 shots. It got so bad on Saturday at Tamarisk that Duval went triple bogey, triple bogey, triple bogey, par, double bogey to finish up a round of 85.

ESPN does a weekend round up known as the Weekly 18 (which is a great re-cap of the weekend in golf), and Duval is the lead story. They re-cap some of the disturbing stats, but also make mention of two important facts. First, in 1999 Duval shot a final round 59 to win this event. Second, he shot a fourth round 72 after opening with a double bogey.

This leads me to believe that he still has talent and desire. It would have been much easier to withdraw, or not put forth the effort to grind out a round, but instead he sucked it up and put together a solid round to finish his week. Duval has had a tough go of it since his British Open victory in 2001, and while I can only speak for myself, I hope he is able to get out of this funk and become a regular on the leader board once again.

13 Comments:

At 6:35 AM, Blogger Best Buy said...

Decent page, enjoyed it a lot, I can never get enough of discount golf equipment uk if you can't either check out my site discount golf equipment uk

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger Richpoo said...

Help! I am lost. I was searching for movie sports and somehow ended up here. How that happened I don't know, however I do like your Blog a lot. Would you mind if I add your Blog to my favorites page so others can visit?

 
At 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've put together a little page to help 1984 buick regal
people find good places for 1984 buick regal
related sites. If you get a chance check out 1984 buick regal
.
Keep the shiny side UP!. Ray in San Diego**KEYWOR

 
At 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

 
At 3:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long have you been at your charlotte business consulting job? Are you good at charlotte business consulting? Could you help other businesses that are just starting out get up to speed? Then you are a qualified consultant! And of course, that's only one way to share your knowledge. "How To Start Your Own Coaching/Consulting Business" is my well researched charlotte business consulting, online webite that you can read and learn at your leisure.
Hope you visit ...

 
At 3:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that I agree with you 100%. You might like this golf vacation golf site that I came across. Thanks again for your insight.

 
At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that I agree with you 100%. You might like this golf clipart golf site that I came across. Thanks again for your insight.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop by and have a look at 1.8T

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Sports Junky said...

I agree,

I love Tiger Woods. and recently I have bought stock in it. Not like real stock on Wall street, but a stock market that is strictly for sports.

You have seen it? Its pretty cool. You buy issues for your favorite golfers and you make real money. Not like a fake stock simulator. I cash out Dividends each time your golfer plays in a tournament. Also I can sell my players stock when the price goes up.

check it out if something like this interests you.
heres a link http://allsportstrading.com

This site has lots of data about dividends and game pots and golfers. It also has alot of information about how the market works.



See you there!
-Erik

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Sports Junky said...

I agree,

I love PGA. and recently I have bought stock in it. Not like real stock on Wall street, but a stock market that is strictly for sports.

You have seen it? Its pretty cool. You buy issues for your favorite golfers and you make real money. Not like a fake stock simulator. I cash out Dividends each time your golfer plays in a tournament. Also I can sell my players stock when the price goes up.

check it out if something like this interests you.
heres a link http://allsportstrading.com

This site has lots of data about dividends and game pots and golfers. It also has alot of information about how the market works.



See you there!
-Erik

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog with interesting topics. I have a website that offers alot of controversial topics here. Just go to the links page and look for "Video Reviews"

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your houston texan cheerleader blog! Check out my houston texan cheerleader forum for lots of great houston texan cheerleader info.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home