.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

January 12, 2005

The Phenom is in the Field

The Sony Open gets under way tomorrow with coverage on ESPN. While 25 of last years winners are in the field, they are not the big story. Instead, everyone is talking about a 15 year old girl.

Michelle Wie has received a sponsor's exemption for the second consecutive year. If you remember she played last year and missed the cut by one shot and beating about 48 PGA Tour professionals including the now defending Player's Champ, Adam Scott. This year she has set a goal of finishing in the top 20 in the tournament and that is great. However, should she even be in the field?

This is not a question about women's rights or ability (which I truly believe that she has), but rather whether this is a good move for her career? From a marketing standpoint (for bot her and Sony, who gets tremendous ROI for this event) it is brilliant as it gives her more exposure in a week then most golfers get in their lifetime (and she is not even a professional yet). However, she has absolutely no chance of winning this event. I just feel that it would be much more beneficial for her to spend time beating the snot out of her peers.

I don't often agree with Tiger Woods and what he says in interviews, but he nailed it in an article by Bob Harig where he talks about the best thing for his development not as a player, but as a competitor was that he was not allowed to move up a level regarding competition until he was routinely winning at his current level. This makes perfect sense if you think about it. She is playing with virtually no pressure in these PGA and LPGA events because no one expects her to win. Instead she should just focus on playing the junior events, kicking everyone's butts (boys included) and then move up to the adult amatuer level. Once she has established a solid amatuer record then consider teeing it up with the pros.


2 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that I agree with you 100%. You might like this electric golf cart golf site that I came across. Thanks again for your insight.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Sports Junky said...

I agree,

I love PGA. and recently I have bought stock in it. Not like real stock on Wall street, but a stock market that is strictly for sports.

You have seen it? Its pretty cool. You buy issues for your favorite golfers and you make real money. Not like a fake stock simulator. I cash out Dividends each time your golfer plays in a tournament. Also I can sell my players stock when the price goes up.

check it out if something like this interests you.
heres a link http://allsportstrading.com

This site has lots of data about dividends and game pots and golfers. It also has alot of information about how the market works.



See you there!
-Erik

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home