.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

January 14, 2005

Tilt - Too Soon To Tell

Watched the first episode of ESPN's new original series TILT last night and so far, I am disappointed, but maybe I am just expecting too much.

It should be noted that I am an ESPN junkie to the point that it is the default channel for my cable system at home and it is also my home page when I go on the internet at work (yes, I have a problem). While their movies leave much to be desired as shown in their recent attempt with 3 - The Dale Earnhardt Story (I just want to race daddy!!!), I was very impressed with Playmakers and disappointed when they did not create a second season. Rumor was that the NFL forced them not to, and that would not surprise me given that just about every story line is now actually happening in the NFL, but I digress.

Anyway, given my love for ESPN entertainment, my love of poker, and my respect for the creators of Rounders I was excited to say the least. However, after the first episode I'm not so sure I want watch more. As my friend Bluecarp said, "...the bigger the smartass, the bigger the player." seemed to be the premise of the entire show. There was no flow, and no continuity to setting up the characters. They seem to be trying to make them complex individuals, but not giving any enough time to establish themselves. And by far one of the weirdest scenes was a flashback to a twelve year old girl playing cards in a Vegas suite, beating a mobster for $7,000, and the only parental figure is the game manager, just plain weird.

Anyway, I will surely check out next week's episode, but right now Tilt does not look like a good bet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home