.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

February 23, 2005

Big-Head Barry Offers Media Tea & Crumpets

Barry Bonds faced the media yesterday, and I hope nobody was surprised by what transpired. Barry lives in his own little world, and has never had a good relationship with the media, but the animosity he came to the press conference with yesterday was at an all time high. I just don’t get it.

While it was startling how aggressive he was towards the media, he did make one truthful point. He says, "I don't believe steroids can help your eye-hand coordination, technically hit a baseball. I just don't believe it. That's my opinion." I agree with this. I don’t have any scientific or empirical evidence, nor do I want to research this topic. It is another topic that people much smarter then me will be more capable of covering and analyzing. However, while I agree that someone needs to have some innate ability to hit a baseball (or perform any athletic activity), steroids will allow the user to hit the ball further, increase bat speed, and recover from injuries at a more rapid pace. So for Bonds to continue to say that this should not even be a topic of discussion is comical. It gves people an unfair advantage and should be construed as cheating.

One thing that everyone has to keep in mind is that he will have to be a witness in the upcoming BALCO trial. As Jayson Stark says, “Those BALCO prosecutors have some questions waiting for him, too. In an open courtroom.” When that happens we might finally get some truth out of everyone involved in this scandal.

There is more to say about steroids, and whether Bonds is on them. But if you look here and here you can judge for yourself if he is doing something. I don’t know how someone gets his or her head to grow that much in an 18-year span (my hat size changes based on the time between haircuts), but something is going on here IMHO. As my friend Bluecarp says, his head is big enough to have its own moons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home