.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

February 01, 2005

The Little Team Makes It Big

As I mentioned earlier this morning my Alma Mater, Guilford College has hit the big time. The basketball team made Sportscenter (for those who are not sports junkies such as myself, this could be considered the same as being mentioned in a State of the Union Address, or perhaps an Oscar acceptance speech).

Playing Randolph-Macon, overtime, R-M on the foul line with 0.6 seconds left. R-M player makes first and is told to miss second which is the right play. This way, it gives the opposition no time to set up a tip play or the like.

Instead Jordan Snipes got the rebound and in the same motion turned and launched a perfect shot from the under their own basket for the game-winning three pointer!

To say that Guilford has not experienced basketball success over the years would be an understatement. We won a couple of NAIA championships back in the seventies with players such as M.L. Carr and World B. Free on the squad, but men’s basketball has not exactly been a powerhouse for the Quakers.

Anyway, I’m sure that Jordan is enjoying the praise he is getting on campus and I hope Guilford is able to draw some interest out of this national attention.

Watch the video (kudos to News2) here. If you have ESPN Motion, you can see it there as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home