.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

February 03, 2005

The Players Are Boring So...

Superbowl XXXIX is still 3 days away, so there is still time for a player to pull some kind of bone-head move and give the media some fodder for the next few days, but right now that two stories brewing that do not involve players in the game.

The first revolves around Vikings quarterback Duante Culpepper and his bling-bling. According to SI.com, during the Fed-Ex Air & Ground award ceremony Culpepper was asked by a high-school player who suffered a paralyzing injury if he could have some of his ice, and he obliged by giving him his diamond crusted necklaces. The article doesn’t describe tone or any of the other stuff that usually happens (this might have been staged for all I know), but the mom started to cry and the dad talked about buying a safe.

However, when it was all said and done, it turns out the bling-bling was just a loaner and Culpepper made sure to collect his jewels before the family left. He got their information and promised to send something, but the whole story just sounds strange to me. I’ll be curious to see if this picks up steam one way or another.

Another story coming out is far more disturbing. I’m not a journalist, and I don’t play one on TV, and I most definitely did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I can’t offer any professional viewpoint as to what happened, but it is still a strange happening. It seems that Ken Powers, a sportswriter for the Worchester Telegram & Gazette plagiarized one of the best football writers in the country, Peter King. King writes for Sports Illustrated and has a great weekly piece on SI.com called MMQB (Monday Morning Quarterback). It seems that Powers took King’s writing from his January 24th posting and used it almost verbatim in his January 30th article. Again, not knowing the whole story, or the facts I’m apprehensive to comment, but it does seem this is going to turn out bad for Powers. The Boston Herald has an article that shows snipets of the two pieces in question.

1 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Hi. Did you know I've been to so many sites looking for bling bling pendant and I ended up here. Never knew the Internet had so much good information about bling bling pendant. Keep up the good work with your bling bling pendant blog and thanks.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home