.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

February 01, 2005

Take Care Mr. Dempsey...I'm Glad I Met You

While flipping through the News & Record today for information about the Guilford College Buzzer Beater (it made Sportscenter but I can’t find video on the web yet), and I got some depressing news. Larry Dempsey had passed away this past Friday. I was not a friend, nor am I a relative, but I feel lucky to have known the man.

I was working as an assistant golf pro at Starmount Forest during the mid-nineties, and during that time I had the pleasure of meeting and playing golf with Mr. Dempsey. While there was no doubt that Alzheimer’s had started to wreak its havoc on him, the clarity he possessed on the golf course was uncanny. Always had a kind word to say, and had one of the smoothest swings you could ever imagine. It was not technically perfect, but it worked for him (and worked very well).

On this cold day it warms me a little to think of the way he raised everyone’s spirit who he was around.

Take care Mr. Dempsey; I am sure you are in a better place.

Additionally, thanks to the News & Record staff writer Jim Schlosser (Email him here) for a very good article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home