.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

February 24, 2005

There Might Be A Need For Floating Golf Balls

Well, the Accenture Match Play is under way after being delayed for a day (due to more rain then I care to imagine). The weather report looks good, so they should get this thing done by Sunday. I’ll tell you though, physical conditioning is going to play a major factor as to win the whole thing, a player will have to win one 18-hole match Thursday, two 18-hole matches Friday, two 18-hole matches Saturday, and a 36-hole match of Sunday. In other words if each match goes to the end, someone will have played 126 holes of golf in a 4 day period.

While we could start a lively debate about the physical strain that golf puts on the human body, the fact remains that match play is mentally challenging, and La Costa is sopping wet, which makes for a very long day. In other words, one of my favorite golfers, Lumpy, is at a disadvantage before he even tees off.

2 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger Patrick Eakes said...

Well, that was quick for Lumpy. You are right, the guys in shape will be the ones playing deep into their brackets.

I always feel more tired after walking a wet course, because my legs are tense on every step, fearing a slip.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger The Grunkle Guru said...

Patrick:

Thanks for the comment. I was hoping that the Lumpster would get a little further, but I'm not surprised.

Today should have some very interesting matches.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home