.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

March 08, 2005

Life is for the Living

One of the topics that I meant to write about last week but did not was the tragic drowning death of Jack Nicklaus’ grandson Jake. Patrick Eakes post (titled Baby Lost) brought it to my attention last week. And, as he states Jack has always been exceptional in his ability to balance his golf profession and family commitments. In fact, when he went through hip replacement surgery a few years back, it was not so that he could keep playing competitive golf, but rather so that he would be able enjoy time with his family.

The events of last week were most certainly tragic, and works as an unfortunate reminder of just how quickly something like this can happen to a little child.

However, Jack was back in the public eye today fulfilling his prior commitments. While it appeared that he was having a tough time dealing with the situation, he talked about what I consider to be a very important part of moving forward after tragedy. “Life has got to go on. Life is for the living.” I think it takes more to muster the energy to deal with living after an event such as this (thankfully, I have yet to deal with a family tragedy in my adult life), but all too often you see and hear about people who seek solace in solitude.

I don’t know the official stages of grief, but I have seen others go through it and it seems that people oftentimes get bogged down in avoiding people. If you know someone like that do what you can to get him or her involved in living again. It will be tough and trying for all around, but will definitely help everyone to move on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home