.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

March 23, 2005

That Tricky Little Spaniard

Well, the PGA Tour’s fifth major gets underway tomorrow with The Player’s Championship being contested at the TPC of Sawgrass. Look for some exciting golf, and possibly some very low scores. From what I have heard the rough is down, the greens are receptive and rolling great. If the weather holds up we could be in for a shoot out.

Last year Adam Scott took a major step towards becoming a household name amongst golf fans with his dramatic victory. So what it going to happen this year? Here is my attempt at prognostication. If I am right then I might have to consider a new career as a professional gambler (or at least starting my own book-making operation).

It order to predict the future, we must look at the past, most notably what has been happening this year leading into The Players. The best way to describe this year to date is that of the grand champion. With players such as Singh, Woods, & Mickelson wrapping up titles, there has not been much for those who have never won on tour before, so it is safe to say that anyone without a victory on the PGA Tour can be ruled out.

Additionally, the older crowd has not performed very well this year, so while some might be in contention, you can rule out anyone older then 42.

So all that being said, whom do I like? I like the young Spaniard Sergio Garcia. He has won on tour, is a young and energetic player, and is due for a breakout victory. So there you have it. If you have some spare funds to lay down, put it on Sergio. Of course I could be wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home