.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

March 29, 2005

We Want The Funk

The Funkster, Funkadelic, Funky Brewster, Funkalicious. However you want to say it, it turned out to be Fred Funk’s week as he wins the rain delayed Player’s Championship. One of the problems with having to hold down a full-time job is that I was unable to watch the final round, but the reviews made it look like a not-to-fun day on the golf course. Let’s see, we have a saturated course, the rough is long and thick, most players are going to have to play at least 27 holes in one day, and oh yeah, let’s have the wind blow about 35MPH. Not exactly the pristine scoring conditions that players hope for.

Anyway, congratulations to the Funk Man for this victory, the $1.44mil, and most importantly, the 5-year exemption to the PGA Tour which will assure him a place to play until he is 53. With the bad weather that was experienced there at the TPC, it is really not too surprising that Funk won. He is an extremely accurate driver of the golf ball, and with the knarly rough, and increased importance of controlling the ball’s spin hitting from the fairway was of the utmost importance.

I enjoyed the fact that the big hitters struggled this week. I find it to be much more impressive to see a golfer who can control his golf ball around a course then to watch a guy who hits it as hard as he can, goes to find it, and hits it again. I just don’t find that as impressive as most do. Still, I think I am in the minority.

As for my pick of the week, Sergio Garcia, let’s just put it this way. If you wagered on him based on my advice, then you are a fool. After his strong start he struggled the rest of the week shooting a final round 78 to tie for 32. At least he made the cut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home