.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

April 20, 2005

Chicks Dig The Long Ball!

Well, it is time to curse yet another PGA Tour player before they even tee it up. My picks have not exactly been stellar, and I would be filing for bankruptcy if I was living off my gambling earnings. Oh, wait, I can’t under the new rules about to go into effect (thought I would throw a little political commentary for increased readership).

Anyway, this weeks stop is the Shell Houston Open. Maybe this year they will pay off the winner not in prize money, but in barrels of crude oil. The way prices are going this year it might be a better investment. Being contested over the 7,500 yard Redstone C.C. this is a course where you have to hit it big off the tee to have a chance.

Therefore, in order to follow my own advice I better chose someone who hits it a long way, so why not go over the top and chose one of the longest on the tour, Hank Kuehne.

Hank is long (averaging 300 yds per drive to rank fourth), and has a long of the season of 363 yards. Clearly he meets the length criteria. That is where Hank’s skill has ended this year as he ranks 181st in driving accuracy, and 165th in Greens in Regularion (GIR).

So given the disaster of a year he is having why would I pick him? Well, for one, he is from Texas, so maybe the Tex-Mex cooking will do him some good. Second, he has had success at this event.

The tour needs a story, and this victory would be it. Besides, with the odds I am getting on this one, you can’t help but place this wager.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home