.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

April 20, 2005

I've Seen A Lot In My Life, But That Was Awesome!

Last night I noticed something that I think is pretty freakin’ cool. Curious if others have seen it or have the same opinion, or if they have even noticed it. Heading home from par-3 shootout on Wendover eastbound. Crossing over Battleground Ave. you can get a view of the skyline, and this was the first time I had driven that way when the Grasshoppers were in town.

To see First Horizon Park lit up from the distance was pretty cool. It definitely creates the image of a powerful and influential city (at least in my humble opinion). Here’s the deal, while I have not found, nor know of any studies that support this statement, here is a theory; cities ebb and flow with the support of cities professional teams especially when something new happens, or better yet, the team wins. You can look at cities such as Charlotte with the Panthers, New York with the Rangers, Boston with the Red Sox, San Francisco with the 49ers, and even Greensboro with the Grasshoppers. When these teams are doing well and in the news (at whatever level), the city seems to experience a shot of adrenaline. It just creates a buzz in the city, and a buzz leads to growth, and growth leads to prosperity.

So when you get a chance, drive down Wendover and check out the city skyline when the Hoppers are at home. Then see all the positive that is starting to happen around here. I hate that we did not renovate War Memorial, but I truly hope this whole new stadium thing is that catalyst that Greensboro needs to get out of its current malaise.

OK, that was a poor excuse for an essay, but just wanted to get some thoughts down before they escaped out of my head. Take what you can out of it.

See you all at the Meetup tonight (well, those cool enough to attend)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home