.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

April 27, 2005

Jamestown Golf Club

As I mentioned briefly yesterday, I played in a Autism benefit tournament yesterday afternoon, and I must commend all who gave their time and effort to put on a great event.

The Weather Channel had called for 5 - 10 MPH winds, and boy did they mess that up. If I had to guess I would say it was blowing a consistent 20MPH with gusts to 30MPH. Definitely made the course play harder then it should have.

My team played solid, but did not make a single putt all day and finished at 7-under, well out of the winners bracket.

I always enjoy playing Jamestown. It is not very long, but tight, with some blind shots and subtle elevation changes that make you start overthinking your game. Trust me, overthinking on a golf course is a very bad thing.

My favorite hole out there is the par-4 11th. Hitting from an elevated tee over water, it is imperitive that you move the ball from right to left so that you can have a reasonable shot. If you hit your tee shot straight down the middle you are looking at about 180 yards for your second shot.

The green is elevated, and set back further then you think meaning a lot of uphill chip shots to a green that slopes severely from back to front.

I always have a good time on this course, and will reccomend it to anyone looking for a good golf course.

2 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Gr8ful Coach said...

Guru,

I am not a golfer, I spend my free time playing tennis. But on the few times when I do decide to give golf a try, Jamestown is my first choice. I agree with you that its a great course and highly recommendable. Hackers can survive it.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger The Grunkle Guru said...

Thanks for reading coach. I know plenty who prefer tennis to golf, and understand your desire for that activity instead. If you are looking for another 'hacker' course I would reccomend Walnut Woods. It is fun for golfers of all abilities.

The Guru

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home