.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

April 22, 2005

Just Call Me Mutt

I saw the dialect test a couple of weeks ago on the god-like Shu’s blog, but did not have time to deal with it. Saw a reference to it again today from Patrick Eakes, and decided to give it a try.

The results are what I expected with a little nuance to them:

40% General American English (I am American and I speak English so that is good)

35% Yankee (I grew up in Boston so typing Yankee is tough, but it is a generic term for us northerners)

15% Dixie (Maybe a little low as I have spent almost 30% of my life south of the Mason-Dixon Line, but hey, I’m a slow learner)

10% Upper Midwestern (I don’t have an explanation for this other than my wife grew up in Ohio. It’s north and in the Midwest so does that count? I hope so, or my parents got some ‘splaining to do)

0% Midwestern (Thank God)

So there you have it. I took a dialect test and realized that I am a messed up puppy. I could have saved 5 minutes by not taking the test, as I (and most people that know me) already knew this.

Tests suck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home