.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

April 26, 2005

Leaking Oil In Houston

Well, the Shell Houston Open wrapped up Sundaywith Vijay Singh defeating John Daly in a one hole play-off. While the end of the tournament had some excitement, the play-off definitely lost some of its luster after Daly gave his ball a bath.

All that being said, I contend that Vijay was lucky to win this one. Think about it:

Standing on the 72nd hole tied for the lead he hits a tremendous block right that was so bad it turned out good. He would have been in the grunkle if not for the spectators trampling the grass.

Since the shot was so bad, he actually had a great lie and a lucky angle to take a shot at the pin. He proceeds to hit a great shot to about 8 feet, but then never gave his birdie putt a chance. In fact, from the view on TV I would say the Vijay is not making many putts right now because of his alignment. Looks like his body is aligned to the right of the target, and the putter stroke is moving the ball left. Converging angles are not good in a golf swing (and yes, I speak from experience).

So it looks like Daly has all of the momentum. After all, he finished birdie, birdie, and Vijay has just hit his tee shot right on the 18th hole again (getting another lucky angle to the pin). Instead, Long John goes ahead and pulls it left into the pond making it an easy victory for Singh.

As for my picks, we know that Hank did not make the cut, so I shifted my allegiance to Joe Ogilvie who finished a solid 6th. Look for this guy to get his first victory soon.

Playing in a tournament to benefit Autism research today at Jamestown Park Golf Club. I'll let you all know about the course and the event tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home