.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

April 13, 2005

A Masters Recap - Fashionably Late

Ok, I realize I screwed up. I mean, it is kind of lame for a guy supposedly focused on writing about golf does not even put out one post regarding the first (and most often the most exciting) major on the PGA Tour. Well, my reasoning is that I was in Las Vegas, which posed many problems. First, there was the time difference. Second, I had trouble getting an Internet connection. And finally, it’s freaking Vegas! The last thing I wanted to do was sit in front of a computer and write about an event that I did not see any shots of. Anyway, I was once again reminded of my importance as The Masters still went on (complete with weather delays)

Anyway, I was able to take the red-eye home on Saturday which allowed my to plop my rotund backside on the sofa for some quality golf viewing in High Definition (which is the coolest thing by the way). In between naps (my hat goes off to people who can sleep in a packed plane) I was able to watch a rather exciting final round. Patrick Eakes does a great job of predicting the future in one of his posts, and I am glad to report that my pick (Luke Donald) ended up with a very impressive showing.

However, the day came down to the final two golfers Tiger Woods and Chris DiMarco. Some of my buddies picked DiMarco to win, but I did not think that he had the mental make-up for it. After what David Toms did to him in the finals of the Accenture Match Play I figured that even if he held the lead on the back nine Sunday there would be no way that he would be able to hold it. Well, I must say that DiMarco impressed the snot out of me.

He made it a game, and a really close one at that. In fact, the chip-in that Tiger had on 16 was the difference. Even if he gets it close and makes par he still loses to DiMarco if 17 & 18 play out the way they did. Every golfer needs a little luck in order to win a tournament.

Speaking of luck, how Lucky was Nike to have that chip shot hang on the lip with the Nike logo just hanging out for all to see. From what I have heard, that was worth a few million in free advertising even if they don’t do anything further with it. However, I have a feeling that Nike will come up with a unique way to take this even further. Look for the remote control golf ball commercial soon.

I’ll be the first to admit that I am not the biggest Tiger Woods fan. I think he is great for the game in what he can do inside the ropes, but outside the ropes he seems a little too robotic. I would like to see him shoot from the hip a little bit more in interviews. I just don’t think he is showing us the true Tiger, but that’s just me. Regardless, his win was good for golf. Not because it happened, but because of how it happened. A tremendous display of skill and imagination (with luck thrown in), an up and comer who gave Tiger all he could handle, and a clutch drive, iron, and putt to win the tournament.

So there you have it, my take on The Masters. A little late. A little lacking. But at least I have some closure in my life.

6 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Gr8tful Coach said...

Guru,

I was wondering:
was that a Nike ball or say a Titleist ball with a Nike swoosh on it? Is Nike in the golf ball business? You can count on them marketing that little gem.

Is Tiger still using the clubs that Mickleson called "inferior"?

I was pulling for DiMarco also. He almost chipped that one in on 18 to win in regulation. I don't dislike Tiger either, but I agree with you that he comes off a little too guarded in interviews. Fans appreciate personalities that are genuine.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger The Grunkle Guru said...

Gr8tful Coach:

Thanks for reading. No, that really is a Nike golf ball. It is from the Nike One series. I believe it is a proto-type not yet available on the market, but I can tell you that Nike actually makes a very good golf ball.

He is still using the 'inferior' product that Mickelson talked about a couple of years ago, but that is the thing about Nike. Regardless of you opinion on them if they do something they do it right, and their irons are garnering some great reviews by golfers of all abilities.

I personally loved the irony of Phil putting the jacket on Tiger because whatever they say to the media, they just do not like each other.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Patrick Eakes said...

I think the Nike ball is still made by Precept, a division of Bridgestone.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Admin said...

Great blog, keep up the good work. Glad to see sites like this.

Here is another good site I said I would pass along.
Las Vegas Vacations
Thanks

 
At 3:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Help me if you can I'm feeling down" - I also think I must be lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him on the golf course yesterday. Now this is strange because usually I see him in the supermarket.

Honest really, last time I saw him there he was right in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new lcd tv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a lcd tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger.

Then I'm gonna go home, put ma dancin' suit on, munch me some uppers and freak out to that maaaaaaaaad surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on ma lcd tv .

How cool is that boy?

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home