.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

April 18, 2005

Take My Golf Tourney..Please!

Wow, that was quite a weekend down at the MCI Heritage Classic, but in the end Peter Lonard managed to secure his tartan-plaid jacket for winning this prestigious tournament.

Yes, he won, but that might be too strong a word. The golf being played by the final group can best be described as inconsistent. A better term might be ugly.

However, Darren Clarke and Lonard were not the only ones that suffered during the final round. Some examples include:

- Jose Maria Olazabal whiffed a bunker shot

- The low round of the day (in what appeared to be perfect conditions) was a 3-under 68 by Billy Andrade

- Clarke was 14 under 8 holes into his final round before playing his last 10 holes in 9-over

It just goes to show that classic style courses still have a place in the game. By putting an emphasis on ball control, The Links at Harbour Town was able to keep some of the best players in the game at bay, and sometimes just make them look silly.

I think Clarke said it best when his first words at his post-tournament press conference were, “Anybody got a beer?”

Oh yeah, for those of you who were wondering how my pick of the week did here's the lowdown.

Joe Ogilvie managed a stellar tie for 59th. Good to see that the curse is still alive.

1 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Help me if you can I'm feeling down" - I also think I must be lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him on the golf course yesterday. Now this is strange because usually I see him in the supermarket.

Honest really, last time I saw him there he was right in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new lcd tv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a lcd tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger.

Then I'm gonna go home, put ma dancin' suit on, munch me some uppers and freak out to that maaaaaaaaad surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on ma lcd tv .

How cool is that boy?

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home