.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

April 19, 2005

Teeing It Up In G'Boro

The weather has finally turned, and it looks like we are going to have some great days to enjoy outside. Well, I won’t because I am stuck in a cube with no windows, but those of you who have the opportunity to get outside I implore you to do so. There is plenty to do around here, but the one activity that is near and dear to my heart is golf, and there are many options abound. Some of my favorite courses include:

Greensboro National – While not in Greensboro per se, this is one of my favorite courses around. The staff is friendly, and the course has always been in impeccable shape. Ample fairways and large greens make the course playable for everyone, yet there is enough subtlety in the lay out that accomplished golfers will still find the course challenging. My favorite hole is the par-5 15th. A dramatic elevation from tee to green makes this hole a tempting opportunity for eagle. However, with water on the left, and a large tree guarding the right side mean the perfect shot must be executed. While this course is great all year, I suggest heading out in the fall. The elevation changes, and foliage displaying a magnificent color ensemble can create some spectacular memories.

Stoney Creek – (Note: I had some friends play there this weekend and they said it was in terrible shape.) While the course may be struggling now, it has always been one of my favorites in the area. If you are looking for a challenge, take it back to the black tees and see what you can do. Note; you only want to try this if you are a legitimate 8 handicap or lower, otherwise it will just be a long day and not much fun. This is another course with great amenities and a tremendous layout. My favorite hole here is the par-3 8th. Playing anywhere from 200 yards to 125 yards club selection is a premium. If you are above the hole it will be a major accomplishment to two-putt. Oh yeah, don’t miss left or right either. Right leaves a downhill, down-grain shot sure to test your mettle, and left leaves you with an uphill chip where you can’t even see the flagstick.

Crooked Tree – Not one of the highly publicized courses in the area, but just a fun golf course for all to play, and some of the fastest greens around. They recently opened a new nine holes (about 3 years ago), and the new 18-hole layout is a lot of fun. My favorite hole here is the par-4 15th. A short hole that requires an accurate tee shot (oh yeah, it is blind), and an accurate second shot to a subtle green with water right and bunkers left.

There are many other courses around (feel free to suggest your favorites), and I will do my best to write about them as time allows, but for now check these out when you get a chance.

Anyway, tonight is par-3 shootout night. Wish me luck, as daddy needs a new pair of shoes.

4 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger Roch101 said...

What's your opinion of Old Home Place?

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Gr8tful Coach said...

Guru,
Where is Crooked Tree?
Hit 'em straight!
Good luck!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger The Grunkle Guru said...

Roch:

I have played Old Homeplace once, and I did enjoy it. They were doing some renovations, and the greens were not in the greatest condition, but the layout was enjoybable and allows someone to get on a roll

Coach:

Crooked Tree is in Brown Summit. If you take HWY 29N to the Bryan Park exit, and then when you would take a left on Summit Ave to go to Bryan Park, take a right and follow the signs for Crooked Tree.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Richpoo said...

Nice blog. Please check out my authority sports store site. It is all about authority sports store informations.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home