.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

May 23, 2005

Catching a Nap On Tour

Not much excitement on the PGA front. Kenny Perry went ahead and waxed the field at the Bank of America Colonial winning by seven shots over Billy Mayfair. It was so boring that the commentators on CBS were definitely struggling to fill in the time.

It should be noted that they did a great job in keeping the battle for second interesting as Rod Pampling managed to cost himself about $450,000 on the last hole. I still don’t know what he was thinking. He is in the middle of the fairway 90 yards from the hole (after just flat nutting one down the fairway) yet he manages to put it the only spot he can get into trouble – long and left. That sums up the drama of the week.

What made the weekend even more anti-climatic was the fact that this was the first time in about three months that we saw a tournament without an exciting finish. It seemed like the concept of parity had taken hold on the PGA tour, and anyone around on the weekend had a chance to win. Instead this week we saw a battle for second. Not the most exciting thing in the world, but the golf was impressive nonetheless.

Meanwhile on the LPGA front, we saw one of the young players step up and claim their first victory. Paula Creamer started shaky, but birdied three of her last five holes (including a birdie on 18) to win the Sybase Classic. Oh yeah, she is only 18 and will not get receiving her high school diploma until this weekend. Not too shabby for a girl.

Fantasy Update: I don’t think I came in last, but I do think it was close. My ranking for this week was 36,663rd so there are no cash and prizes coming my way this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home