.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

May 11, 2005

Dashing Someone's Dreams Yet Again

Time for another installment of what I have decided to lovingly call Missed Cut Mayhem. In other words, here is my pick of the week.

This week the tour stops in Texas for the EDS Byron Nelson Championship. This is definitely one of the big ones on the regular tour. Byron Nelson is revered by many in the golfing community as one of the greatest of all time, including a year (1945) when he won 11 tournaments in a row, a feat that will never be accomplished again.

This tournament also features the top 5 players in the world (Tiger Woods, Vijay Singh, Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson, and Retief Goosen), but once again, I am not going to take the easy road. Instead, I decided to look beyond the numbers, and focus on the pairings for the first two days.

While golf is a solitary game, the players compete in assigned groups of three during the first two days of the tournament. Some might disagree, but I feel that even these guys play better when they are playing with someone they know, and more importantly like. They understand their pacing, personality, and quirks. Having this information can go a long way towards allowing a golfer to get comfortable and into their own rhythm.

Therefore, after many seconds of research, I have come to the following conclusion. I should put my money on Carl Pettersson this week. Not only is he a product of Grimsley High School right here in Greensboro, NC, but he is playing with a good friend, Hank Kuehne.

These two formed a friendship a few years back while playing on the European tour, and it is my understanding that the relationship continues to this day.

So play hard Carl, my mortgage is riding on you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home