.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

May 05, 2005

Disturbing News On The Local Golf Front

Man, it is a sad day here in Greensboro. I had been hearing rumors and rumblings for a while regarding the closure of a local golf course, and I bit my tongue until I could get some confirmation. Well, I was able to confirm my worst thoughts the other night.

This year will be the last year for Twin Oaks Par-3 golf course. For some time now the owners of the property have been pressured by developers to sell the property, and for obvious reasons. Recently, a developer made them an offer they could not refuse, and to be honest I cannot blame them. I don’t know exact figures, but I get the impression that a couple of generations will be taken care of by the sale of the property. So look for more town homes on Hilltop road in the coming years.

The fact that they sold out does not really bother me that much. It is hard to blame them given the financial windfall that will come their way. Still, I am bitter for selfish reasons.

I am not a native of Greensboro, but ever since I came down here to attend Guilford College it has felt like home. Many nights were spent having too many brews and playing golf with friends on warm evenings when the bars just seemed like a boring option. Nowadays, I am part of a group of 10 – 15 regulars that tee it up on Tuesday nights for some friendly competition. After this year that option will be gone.

There is no other par-3 in the area that is lit up at night (I know Bur-Mil is lighted, but it is only 9 holes closes at 9:00 in the summertime), and without that option, the golfing options are limited. Man, this just bums me out.

Anyone want to loan me a couple of million so I can develop a new par-3 facility?

4 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Fecund Stench said...

Twin Oaks is an ancient and venerable date destination. I have taken many hair dressers there during my bachelor days. Golf, there, seems almost possible.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Inkslinger336 said...

May not be homes. I read somewhere in the last couple of weeks where the county or city one purchased 28 acres of land on Hilltop road for a park. This must be the golf course as I know of no other piece of property that big on Hilltop.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger The Grunkle Guru said...

Thanks for the comments.

Stenchy - As long as golf if possible for you then there is hope for everyone:)

Slinger - I have heard about that as well, but I heard the property was off Hilltop, not on it directly. Also, Twin Oaks buts up to the apartments there, not any houses. I trust my source was correct when he said townhomes.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Rob said...

It will be sadly missed. I had my first round anywhere at that course. The post round beer was the coldest and best ever.

If I could have just made it over that water hazard! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home