.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

May 24, 2005

The Implosion Was Cool But...

Some random thoughts on yesterday’s implosion:

Excellent coverage on the implosion of the Burlington Industries building by both the blogging community and mainstream media. I want to cite Chewie, Wharton, Cone, and Lenslinger for some great posts. Also, I don’t know who Anon. is, but they posted at Hoggard’s and Chewie’s sites with a great piece of writing. Don’t know if I agree with them, but still some thought provoking writing.

For those interested, the implosion was played on the news out of Augusta, GA according to my folks. I don’t know what affiliate it was, but it was still a big enough deal to make the news in other states.

I do think they missed a great marketing opportunity over this event. I can understand the sadness that some feel, and the frustration that others feel regarding the mentality of destroy and rebuild instead of refurbish (I feel that way at times as well), but this really could have been one hell of an event.

Friendly Center could have hosted a big festival type event with stores doing sidewalk sales and other events to draw shoppers. Then, as night falls, the entertainment moves to the viewing areas where there are bands set up putting on a show. Then, around 9:00 the shows end to a fireworks display being set off around the BI building followed by the implosion of the building itself. That would have been cool and people could have made a day of it.

In other words, do it Vegas Style. I know I would have been there.

2 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Lenslinger said...

D.H. Griffin seems to agree. They were shooting a TV pilot during the implosion (complete with a happy host named 'Demolition Dave') and probably wishing they sold t-shirts. Thanks for the props...

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger The Grunkle Guru said...

Any show with a host known as Demolition Dave will surely add me to their ratings.

Thanks for reading.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home