.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

May 04, 2005

Muting Expectations

Well, it is that time of week again. Time to take a PGA Tour player’s dreams of victory and dash them with a few subtle strokes of the keypad. Yep, it is time for my pick of the week.

For some time now I have posted my pick to win the weekly tour event (example here). The results have not gone well for the players (or my wallet), as it has seemed to have a mysterious power to lead to errant shots, double and triple bogies, and most times a missed cut. Well, I am going to take a new stance on this. I will consider it a success if he makes the cut and gets some TV time on the weekend. Granted, it might be for throwing his bag in a lake after making a 12 on a hole, but at least he made it on TV.

I will still follow my policy of skipping the easy picks such as Tiger, Vijay, or Phil because that is not as fun. Instead, I will go with the obscure and try to give them a little bit of publicity. So anyway, onto the pick.

This week I am going with Notah Begay III. He is playing on a medical exemption, but has had success here in the past. I also like him because in the past he has followed a unique putting practice that I tried. Depending on the break of the putt he will put either right-handed (for right to left breakers) or left-handed (for left to right breakers). Turns out he was actually quite successful with this method as he has 4 career victories.

I myself tried this method once, but since I seem to be dyslexic when it comes to reading greens the game just got confusing.

So there you have it. Good luck Notah. I wish you the best in making the cut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home