.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

May 17, 2005

These Guys (And Girl) Are Good

One word can describe the golf that we saw on the PGA and LPGA tours this past week.

Quality

On the PGA front, the news of the week was Tiger missing the cut. While it is ironic that Woods missed his first cut in 142 events (discussion here and here) at Byron Nelson’s tournament, it took away from what became a breakout performance by a couple of players. The tournament went to Ted Purdy who shot a 5 under 65 on Sunday to earn the win, but I think the victory went to Sean O’Hair, who has managed to overcome some pretty big demons and is showing signs that he could very well be a force to reckon with in the years to come. While there is plent of young talent out on tourn, here’s the scary thing.

He’s 22 years old, but is a 5-year veteran of professional golf. Instead of being able to enjoy life as a teenager, and then competitive team golf in college, Sean’s dad decided to sign him to a management contract that would require Sean to pay his dad 10% of all winnings for the rest of his life. That’s right; daddy was so supportive of his son that he made him sign a professional management contract at the age of 17. There is a great article (from which I got my info regarding this story) in GolfWord by Steve Elling here.

This topic (pushy parents) most likely needs its own post, but I am so disgusted by this story I don’t know if I can. All I know is if my daughter (or any future children) show a propensity and ability in some endeavor, athletic or otherwise if you see me acting like Sean’s dad please shoot me. This guy is so vindictive that he is not considering a lawsuit, but rather waiting for the right time to fax copies of the contract he forced his son to sign in order to embarrass him via the media. Real nice.

But that’s the thing; Sean has taken the high road throughout this whole thing. He refuses to speak in detail regarding this, and has instead chosen to move on with his life. While he did not win on Sunday, he played strong (shooting a 68), and played with maturity beyond his years.

Meanwhile, on the LPGA front, Annika proved that her failing to win at Kingsmill last week was an anomaly. Instead she went out and decimated a very strong field (92 of the top 100 in earnings) by 10 shots at the Chik-Fil-A. She is just so much better then any other woman playing the game. I would venture to say that if there was a way to create a level playing field for co-ed golf tournaments (I don’t think there is), she would be in contention more often then she is out of it. It is flat out scary how good she is playing right now.

2 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that I agree with you 100%. You might like this titleist golf golf site that I came across. Thanks again for your insight.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Sports Junky said...

I agree,

I love Golf. and recently I have bought stock in it. Not like real stock on Wall street, but a stock market that is strictly for sports.

You have seen it? Its pretty cool. You buy issues for your favorite golfers and you make real money. Not like a fake stock simulator. I cash out Dividends each time your golfer plays in a tournament. Also I can sell my players stock when the price goes up.

check it out if something like this interests you.
heres a link http://allsportstrading.com

This site has lots of data about dividends and game pots and golfers. It also has alot of information about how the market works.



See you there!
-Erik

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home