.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

June 23, 2005

Barclaying Up The Wrong Tree

After another disappointing showing in Fantasy Golf Land during the U.S. Open last week, I am wallowing in the basement of the global standings. Sure I’m disappointed, but I’m a gamer, and therefore will keep plugging away and boring all of you with my weekly picks.

This week the Tour stops in Westchester, NY for the Barclay’s Classic. Another one of the classic courses that are not frequent enough locations for tour events. In the last three weeks, the PGA Tour has held events at Congressional Country Club, Pinehurst No.2, and now Westchester CC. Talk about a solid leg of events. This week I went with a strategy of looking for guys who perform well as these types of courses and came up with the following Fab 5:

Sergio Garcia – The Spaniard won here last year and has played solid golf as of late. Only a fool would not pick him (which is why I almost left him off my roster)

Brad Faxon – Grew up playing in Rhode Island on similar old-style courses. He too has a strong record here.

James Driscoll – The rookie is having a very solid season, and being from Massachusetts he has experience on these style courses as well.

Chris DiMarco – While he now lives in Florida, he was born in Jersey. Solid play all year leads me to believe that he will eventually break through for a victory.

Ryan Moore – While not from the northeast (in fact he is the opposite being a northwesterner) makes him a tough pick, but it is his pro debut and he won the U.S. Amateur at another well-respected northeast course – Winged Foot.

So there you have it. I’ll consider it a victory if four of my guys make the cut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home