.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

June 10, 2005

Loving The Ladies

Forgive me for I have been remiss. In my effort to come up with a fantasy golf team that might actually make the cut, I forgot to mention a couple of things that are going on over on the female circuit. The LPGA Tour is holding its second major of the year, the LPGA Championship.

As of Friday morning this is setting up to be one heck of a tournament. Tied for the lead is Natalie Gulbis, one of the rising stars on the LPGA tour who has been known more for her looks, then for her game. Throw in the fact she is dating the Pittsburgh Steelers chosen one, and many people might forget that she can play. Whether she can play with the lead remains to be seen.

One stroke off the lead was a rookie who might have already locked up the Rookie of the Year award, Paula Creamer. She already has one victory this year (before she graduated from high school), and now she has put herself in contention in a major after the first round.

Lurking 2 shots back is The Big Wiesy. 15 years old, and shooting 3-under in a major takes the term phenom to a whole new level. I still don’t think she should be playing in this tournament as she is not a professional golfer, but you still have to respect the act.

Oh yeah, the greatest woman golfer of all time is one shot off the lead as well.

Most people don’t follow women’s golf, and for the most part you can include me in that group. However, if you want to see golfers with great tempo and extremely proficient short games then check out the telecasts this weekend. I’m sure you will be impressed.

LPGA Tour Commissioner Ty Votaw has also created what I think is a very exciting concept for their Tour Championship. Details are still being worked out, but in a nutshell there will be 32 qualifiers for the event with the top 16 moving on to day two, 8 moving on to day three, and 4 playing on the final day for a $1million dollar prize. I’ll reserve judgment until I see the final format, but this sounds like a unique way to bring emphasis to the entire season and really make the final event an exciting one.

So give the ladies some love. They are coming up with unique concepts to make their product stand out from the others out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home