.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

June 07, 2005

Memorable Memorial

The Memorial wrapped up Sunday night in a memorable way. Bart Bryant affirmed his victory last fall during the Valero Open (a mid-level field event) with a victory against one of the strongest fields of a regular tour event. He held off Fred Couples with a clutch putt on 18.

After hitting his 5-wood into the left side hazard on 18 (I still don’t believe that shot took such a hard bounce) he took his drop and promptly hit a 3-iron 15 feet above the hole. So now we have a relatively unknown on one of golf’s biggest stages with a downhill breaking putt to maintain a one shot lead. The smart money would be on him to miss. However, he calmly rolled it in and when Freddie could not make birdie on 18, Bart Bryant earned himself one heck of a paycheck and a tremendous victory for his resume.

Congratulation Bart. I was pulling for Freddie, but you won this tournament, no question about it.

As for my fantasy golf team, it was not good. In fact I don’t even want to talk about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home