.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

June 22, 2005

Open Drama

I have been remiss in my duties as a golf blogger. I have not posted much of anything at all on the recent U.S. Open held at the famed Pinehurst No. 2. In fact, I did not see much of it at all. The weather was great in Aiken, and between golf, spending time at the pool, and the arrival of my parents new horse, I did not see much of the action until Sunday evening, but what I saw was an exciting finish to what was a great event. I sincerely hope that the USGA has the same love affair with the deuce as the golfing world seems to have. The Open is booked through 2012, but let’s hope 13 is our lucky number. North Carolina, and especially the Pinehurst area has a chance to put on a show with a global audience, and we are now two for two in producing successful events.

This tournament featured some memorable moments for me including:

- David Toms finishing up double bogey – triple bogey on Friday. This was a momentum killer, and while he played great on Saturday, I still think it hurt is mindset for the weekend.

- Jason Gore came out of nowhere during the first two days, which was not very unusual, but the fact that he hung around on Saturday was truly amazing. It is a shame that he collapsed as bad as he did on Sunday. Let’s hope this experience gives him the confidence to get his game on track. He has the personality with the media to make him a popular player on tour.

- Retief Goosen’s collapse on Sunday would have been one of the most dramatic of all-time (more then Norman’s Sunday collapse in the ’96 Masters), if not for the total collapse of Gore. Since both were out of it early on Sunday, the television crew did not focus on them and allowed them to falter in solace.

- For as much as Goosen, Gore, Browne, and to an extent Woods collapsed as the day transpired, Michael Campbell won this tournament. It was not handed it to him. To put it in perspective, out of 83 players on Sunday Campbell’s 69 was tied with three others for the best round of the day.

- The 1999 – 2001 version of Tiger Woods would have won this tournament. Back then, other players wilted when he made a charge. Now, the player’s play their game and wait for Tiger to make a mistake as he did this past Sunday (+1 over last three holes)

Patrick has some first hand experience here (yes, I am jealous, but I digress).

As usual, the Open brought us some great stories, and great drama.

1 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Gr8ful Coach said...

Guru,

Davis Love played well also except for his opening round 77. He shot 70-70-69, I think. He can't seem to put 4 rounds together.
Pinehurst got some positive TV coverage; the statue of Payne Stewart, the flag at 18, the giving away of the buttons on Sunday with the logo - all of it made for good TV. Several different Payne Stewart related stories that they did were very moving. I was on the couch with a sprained ankle, so I watched alot of it. You're right on about Goosen's collapse. Since it wasn't on TV, probably won't get remembered, unlike Norman at the Masters.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home