.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

June 14, 2005

Someone Needs To Pick Up The Torch

As we all know the U.S. Open will be played on the hallowed grounds of the Pinehurst Resort in Moore County, NC this coming weekend. I am excited for this event and look forward to enjoying the action from a distance, as I will be out of town. However, there is a social issue going on that needs to be addressed, and that is the reprehensible conditions that some families endure in nearby enclaves. The News & Record's Lorraine Ahearn does a piece this week about the Lost City, and the lack of county and city services that so many of us take for granted.

I am not the person to expound on this topic, as it will take me way out of my comfort zone, but I hope that some other bloggers will pick up this torch and work to bring this disparity to light. However, I will say this.

I love the game of golf and what it can do for people and communities. In fact, the PGA Tour is closing in on generating $1billion dollars in charitable donations. However, the fact that there is such a large socio-economic disparity in a county that prospers off this game I love really disappoints me. I hope that Moore County, and the Pinehurst Resorts work to improve the quality of life of everyone in this area. The difference between the haves and the have-nots is just too great for our society.

3 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Gr8ful Coach said...

Hey now Guru,

It's not the game of golf's fault that our country is divided between the haves and the have nots. As you said, the PGA has done remarkable stuff as far as charitable giving is concerned. Here's to a great weekend at Pinehurst with the final round on Father's Day!!

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that I agree with you 100%. You might like this golf instruction golf site that I came across. Thanks again for your insight.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Sports Junky said...

I agree,

I love Tiger Woods. and recently I have bought stock in it. Not like real stock on Wall street, but a stock market that is strictly for sports.

You have seen it? Its pretty cool. You buy issues for your favorite golfers and you make real money. Not like a fake stock simulator. I cash out Dividends each time your golfer plays in a tournament. Also I can sell my players stock when the price goes up.

check it out if something like this interests you.
heres a link http://allsportstrading.com

This site has lots of data about dividends and game pots and golfers. It also has alot of information about how the market works.



See you there!
-Erik

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home