.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

June 09, 2005

Strolling Through Meadowlands

This past Monday I was invited to play in a golf tournament to benefit the Triad Titans, an AAU basketball program that was created as a spin-off of Rusty Larue’s basketball camps. Anyway, I accepted the invitation more for the venue then for the cause as it gave me an opportunity to play Meadowlands Golf Club. A course that I have not played in a few years, and I figured I needed an excuse to get out there again.

While I am still suffering from a torn hamstring, I felt it was good enough to play on. After all, the bruising had reduced in size from a dinner plate to a more manageable softball size bruise. I figured that since it was a captain’s choice event the strain would not be too great as we are playing the easiest shot after each attempt at greatness. Well, that was wrong. The leg didn’t hurt, per se, but it definitely affected my swing. I found myself not truly loading up on my right side and this led to may ugly pulls and hooks (rather disappointing after working so hard this winter to develop a consistent fade). Anyway our team struggled all day, but I do want to give this course a plug.

Practice Facilities – A large driving range with chipping area and putting green are more then enough for what you need here. My only complaints with the range are the lack of targets, as well as distance accuracy. I just did not feel that the posted distances were accurate based on the ball flight I was getting. It might have been me, but I do truly feel they were off.

Pro Shop – Not a great selection, but adequate for what they need. Public course pro shops have a tough time carrying products when you can always go to Dick’s and take advantage of their discounts based on their volume of purchasing. Their golf ball prices were a little too high for my liking, but what are going to do when you need some rocks.

Staff – Somewhat friendly, but nothing to write home about.

Golf Course – This Hale Irwin design is a medium-long golf course that plays to a par 72 and a little over 6300 yards from the blue tees (one set in front of the championship tees. Well-placed bunkers and water hazards work to put a premium on shot making, and there are enough elevation changes to make for some interesting stances and blind shots.

Course Condition – I would have to say it was in fair condition for this time of year. Keep in mind that we have had a cool spring, and given that this course utilizes a style of Bermuda grass, it takes some warmer conditions to really come into shape. They had some areas that they were sodding as well, so I can not give the condition a glowing review.

While through the green was acceptable, the greens were in very good shape. They rolled true, and looked like they could be quite gnarly if firmed up and rolled a little quicker.

Signature Hole – The par-3 6th. Measuring at 167 yards from the blue tees, you tee off from well above the green (80ft?) and look out over the woods. A very beautiful setting for a fun golf shot.

Overall, this course is a good play, a fair value (if in great condition), but it is not very memorable. It is three days after the event, and I can’t remember the routing of the golf course. It was enjoyable, but not one you walk off saying, “Man I can’t wait to play here again.”

I would recommend it to anyone who knows how to play the game and enjoys a challenge. It is a little tough for a beginning golfer, but most anyone who plays golf can get around this course.

If you get a chance check it out. I did.

The Particulars

Rates
Monday – Thursday: $28.00 - $38.00
Friday: $31.00 - $41.00
Weekends & Holidays: $38.00 - $48.00

Course Ratings:
Tee Yardage Slope Rating
Gold 6706 72.7 135
Blue 6323 70.6 125
White 5661 67.2 116
Red 4745 62.8 106

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home