.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

July 26, 2005

Boring Battle Of The Bridges

In last night’s Battle of the Bridges Phil Mickelson and Retief Goosen defeated Tiger Woods and John Daly 5 & 3 to win the final Battle of The Bridges.

I’m not upset to see the event end as it has definitely lost some luster over time. When it first happened it was revolutionary, as it allowed golf to tap into the primetime audience, and it provided a unique event as the final holes were actually played under the lights. It was a cool concept and was a ratings success.

Over time the event has dulled, and this year’s event was a total bore to watch. Tiger has announced he will not participate again, and the sponsor has not shown an interest in extending the deal. However, this is the type of thing that if set up properly could be a successful event in the future. Some suggestions include:

- Get players who want to play in this event. The foursome should be a member of the PGA Tour and the LPGA Tour taking on a member of the Champions Tour and a member of the Nationwide Tour. This would help give exposure to all the tours, showcase their marketable players, and since there is so much fill-time with only one group on the course you could highlight all the tours and help create interest for them.

- Get personable players to participate. The event is rather boring when you are watching only four golfers and the only conversation between them is the requiem polite chitchat. Get some players who will display their personality in a more demonstrative manner. A little needling of the opponents will go a long way towards generating buzz about the event.

- Players put up their own money. All of these players make plenty of money and while the purse is impressive, it is not a motivator. Instead, each team puts up a set amount of money (for arguments sake we’ll say $150,000 per team) with the winning team winning it all and then making a donation to charity. Everyone wins in this case and all of a sudden you can promote an event where the competitors are playing with their own money. Definitely puts a different spin on the pressure putt.

- Mix up the format. Best ball has been the method of play as of late, but it is somewhat boring to watch. Instead, let’s use three formats for 6 holes each. The first 6 holes would be best ball, the next six would be alternate shot, and the final 6 would be a scramble. This would create better TV, and since it is a departure from the traditional golf, it might loosen up the players as well.

I’d like to see the primetime golf come back in some form in the near future. I enjoy the golf, but if they want to appeal to the masses they need to have something more audience friendly.

7 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about canadian money making opportunity related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Help me if you can I'm feeling down" - I also think I must be lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him on the golf course yesterday. Now this is strange because usually I see him in the supermarket.

Honest really, last time I saw him there he was right in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new lcd tv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a lcd tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger.

Then I'm gonna go home, put ma dancin' suit on, munch me some uppers and freak out to that maaaaaaaaad surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on ma lcd tv .

How cool is that boy?

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger used-callaway-girl said...

Can U help me with my backswing? :-)

lol

get a tee time here
golf course tee times see you on the first hold ;-)

mandy

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Sports Junky said...

I agree,

I love PGA. and recently I have bought stock in it. Not like real stock on Wall street, but a stock market that is strictly for sports.

You have seen it? Its pretty cool. You buy issues for your favorite golfers and you make real money. Not like a fake stock simulator. I cash out Dividends each time your golfer plays in a tournament. Also I can sell my players stock when the price goes up.

check it out if something like this interests you.
heres a link http://allsportstrading.com

This site has lots of data about dividends and game pots and golfers. It also has alot of information about how the market works.



See you there!
-Erik

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed you blog about best home based business opportunity. I also have a site about best home based business opportunity which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

putting to waste some good money that could have been used in other areas of development for the business involved.

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"No Charge Online Advertising Channels For Any Business"

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home