.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

July 18, 2005

Greetings From West Virginia

Up in Charleston, WV for a product symposium to the Facility Managers for the West Virginia School System. Boring stuff, but hopefully some good business for my full-time gig. Hopefully, we will be able to find some time for golf.

I was going to post extensively on the British Open this past weekend, but Patrick Eakes does a great job, so I will just send you his way, but only after you read my two cents.

If the British Open was held at St. Andrews any year Tiger would be an absolute lock to break Nicklaus's mark for major championships. In his two victories there he has absolutely dominated the rest of the field.

His swing looked great, and if he continues to progress with his swing changes we could easily see another streak of winning seven of eleven majors.

I love watching these guys play St. Andrews, and hope to one day get over there myself, but it is scary how much these guys can take advantage of this course when the conditions are relatively benign.

If the weather is not bad, the value of par goes down hill. When a player can drive 3 - 5 par fours on a golf course, and have mid to low irons for second shots into par fives, the game is not the same. Some of these links courses are defended by the weather, and if the weather is good, the scores will be great. Technology has made these courses much easier then their creators intended to be.

Don't get me wrong. I don't really care what someone is in relation to par. All that matters is that they are at least one stroke better then their competition. Whether that is a field of 155, the other guys in your league, your best friend, your personal best. Golf is all about playing to the best of your abilities everytime you tee it up. If your best score is 77, then you should set that as your personal par and strive to shoot at least 76 next time you play.

1 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger used-callaway-girl said...

Can U help me with my backswing? :-)

lol

get a tee time here
golf course tee times see you on the first hold ;-)

mandy

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home