.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

July 11, 2005

The Weekend That Was

It was a quiet week in golf this past weekend what with all the ‘big names’ getting ready to play in The Open Championship this coming week at historic St. Andrews. However, there was still some excitement to be found in the world of golf.

First, I am quite the prophet. Michelle Wie missed the cut, as I thought she would. In fact the cut was at –3 as I felt it would be. And while she is saying the right things to the media regarding her collapse during the last four holes (plus 3 to miss the cut by two), I still think she failed because she has not put herself in enough pressure situations to truly understand what her golf swing will do under pressure.

Note: The John Deere Classic definitely got the media attention it wanted, as it garnered musings from our local urbanist.

I wish her the best in her golfing endeavors as I think she can be truly great for the game, but she has got to start playing in tournaments that she has a chance of winning. Playing against seasoned professionals (either male or female) is helping build her confidence, but it is not teaching her how to play under pressure.

Also at the John Deere Classic we saw the culmination of the tragic and inspiring story of Sean O’Hair. This was the kid that came close earlier this year with a second place finish at the Byron Nelson Classic, and brought light to a story of an overbearing father. This loving dad forced his son to sign a management contract at the age of 17, run a mile for every bogey during a round, and one time withdrew his son from a tournament after 3 putting the 18th hole. Congratulations to Sean for earning this victory coming back from 5 shots to earn his first PGA Tour victory, a trip to The Open this week, and more importantly and two-year exemption on tour.

Finally, I want to remind you of a player who captured our hearts for three days in June. He had an engaging personality, an ‘everyman’ quality if you will. He was a media darling that everyone was rooting for. Until he shot an 84 on Sunday of the U.S. Open, and then all was forgotten. No sponsorships, no corporate gigs, no luxury hotels.

Instead, Jason Gore turned down invitations to play on the PGA Tour, and instead followed his dream to earn a full-time spot next year through the Nationwide Tour. Well, the U.S. Open gave Gore a confidence that he has been lacking over the last year or so, and it all came together for him this week as he won the Nationwide event in West Virginia, and the $107,000 that goes with it. It’s just too bad that the media that loved him a week ago could care less about him this week.

2 Comments:

At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that I agree with you 100%. You might like this spain golf golf site that I came across. Thanks again for your insight.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Sports Junky said...

I agree,

I love Golf. and recently I have bought stock in it. Not like real stock on Wall street, but a stock market that is strictly for sports.

You have seen it? Its pretty cool. You buy issues for your favorite golfers and you make real money. Not like a fake stock simulator. I cash out Dividends each time your golfer plays in a tournament. Also I can sell my players stock when the price goes up.

check it out if something like this interests you.
heres a link http://allsportstrading.com

This site has lots of data about dividends and game pots and golfers. It also has alot of information about how the market works.



See you there!
-Erik

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home