.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

July 13, 2005

What Did The Guru Do

For those of you who are regular readers, you know that I wrote what I hoped to be a recurring segment titled, “What The Guru Did”. Well, unfortunately, I have not done much that is noteworthy as of late (unless you count rounds of 78 & 79 with no birdies, no bogeys and too many putts as attention grabbing headlines). Well, that changed last night.

We had our regular Tuesday night group together at Twin Oaks for our regular play. We play two man teams in nine-hole segments where you play best ball. $5.00 per man with a two tie / all tie rule meaning that if two groups finish tied for first it is a push and no team money changes hands. We also have an individual skins game where if you are the only one to birdie a hole you get a dollar from everyone, and if you happen to make an Ace then it is five bucks a man. Nobody’s going to have to skip a meal because of these wagers, but it definitely adds some excitement and gets the competitive juices flowing.

Standing on the first tee the weather was perfect, the pins were in easy locations and I fully expected a low score would win this nine-hole event. “4-under pushes, 5-under wins,” I said to myself as I did not want to put any undue pressure on my teammate. We handled the first hole in routine fashion; center of the green, two putts for par, and on to the second hole where things started to get a little interesting.

Hole two was playing about 72 yards with the pin on the right edge of the green. I went pin seeking and managed to hit it about 80 yards. Now I’m sitting directly above the hole with a shot that is running away from me. I have been working on my flop shot for some time now, but had been lacking the courage as of late to try it when it mattered. However, my partner was in easy two putt range so I gave it a shot, and what a shot it was.

With an open stance and an open face I deftly took my lob wedge back, and trusting that I was in the right position fired through the shot making sure to keep the club face open through impact. Gently the ball rose, and landed softly right at the spot I picked out above the hole. Slowly it rolled towards the hole, and for a second it looked like it would drop, but alas it trickled by and I made to comebacker for par.

Sitting on the third tee (longest of the course at 130 yards) I’m faced with a decision. Hit a full pitching wedge past the hole and spin it back, or punch a 9-iron and hope I have my distance control down as long is death. Perfectly struck shot. 3 feet from the hole, and I make the putt, but low and behold a roar erupts from the group in front of us. Seems one of our opponents has aced the 5th hole and has moved to 4-under.

All of a sudden we are looking at a situation where we are three shot behind despite the fact that we are 1-under through three. So what does the guru do? He dials it in and gets the focus going.

- Lob wedge to 5 feet on 4 for birdie
- Gap wedge to 3 feet on 5 for birdie
- Partner makes birdie on 6
- Lob wedge to 7 feet on 7 for birdie

We par in (including a 10 foot par saver on 9) to post 5-under and win the session.

Golf like that is fun. When you can go out and execute, and step up to the challenge that others throw your way is a very satisfying feeling.

2 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Blogger Patrick Eakes said...

Nice run, Guru. I hope you made the acer buy a round with the money he collected.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger The Grunkle Guru said...

Of course I got a free drink.

That's why I always aim a little to the left or right of the hole.

Guru

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home