.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

July 15, 2005

Wie Out At APL

Well, Hootie Johnson can finally get some sleep. After putting together some great golf over the past few days, Michelle Wie was defeated by Clay Ogden 5 and 4.

I am still impressed by what this 15 year old girl has accomplished, and every player partner and opponent have nothing but praise for her game. I still feel that she needs to learn how to win, but that is for a different time.

It would have been very interesting if Michelle had pulled off the miracle and won the Amateur Pub Links event. While the Masters is not obligated to extend an invitation to every USGA Championship (it is an invitational event), they have traditionally invited the winner of the APL.

Given Augusta National’s stance on women being members, it would have been a much discussed decision.

However, I do think she would have received the invite. Women have played Augusta as guests, and while this would have created major headlines, Wie would not be offered membership. Just the opportunity to tee it up in one of the most prestigious golf events in the world. Now, if she ever won the Masters that would be a different story as membership does come with that green jacket.

4 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Patrick Eakes said...

I read recently that women play all the time at Augusta, something like every fourth grop that tees off.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger The Grunkle Guru said...

You are exactly right Patrick. Women are more then welcome to play at Augusta National.

They just can't be members.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger golfing-girls said...

You any good at golf? come and play with me tomorrow! get a tee time here tee times for golf and i'll see you on the first hold ;-)

mandy

 
At 3:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home