.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

July 08, 2005

Wie She or Won't She

This week on the PGA Tour is a rather slow one with most of the stars over in Europe getting ready for the British Open next week.

Note: All indications are that while security will be heightened due to yesterday’s tragic events, there will be no delay in the Open Championship.

However, John Deere, the sponsor of this week’s event took advantage of the slow time and gave an exemption to 15-year-old prodigy, Michelle Wie. She more then held her own yesterday shooting a 1-under 70 giving her a legitimate chance to make the cut. We’ll know about 4 hours after she tees off at 1:48CT.

There is a lot of debate this morning on the sports talk radio about whether she will make the cut. I say not a chance.

While it is impressive what she is doing, the cut is already at 2-under and I expect it to go to 3-under by the end of the day. That means she is going to have to play better then she did yesterday, and I don’t see it happening.

Look, she is not battle tested. She has not learned to win golf tournaments. or come through in the clutch. I’m in awe of what she can do on a golf course, and wish I had just an inkling of her talent, but she does not know how to close the deal. Can she sit on the 17th tee and know she needs to play the last two holes 1 under to make the cut? I just don’t see it happening.

Of course, those of you who know my track record in predicting the outcome of golf tournaments (I did pick the winner last week!), knows that the possibility of Michelle proving me wrong is better then average.

2 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that I agree with you 100%. You might like this ireland golf vacation golf site that I came across. Thanks again for your insight.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Sports Junky said...

I agree,

I love European PGA. and recently I have bought stock in it. Not like real stock on Wall street, but a stock market that is strictly for sports.

You have seen it? Its pretty cool. You buy issues for your favorite golfers and you make real money. Not like a fake stock simulator. I cash out Dividends each time your golfer plays in a tournament. Also I can sell my players stock when the price goes up.

check it out if something like this interests you.
heres a link http://allsportstrading.com

This site has lots of data about dividends and game pots and golfers. It also has alot of information about how the market works.



See you there!
-Erik

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home