.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

August 10, 2005

Fantasy Preview - Another Shot at Glory

As we get ready for the final major of the PGA Tour, I felt it best to give you a little history of my skills at creating a five-man team that can bring me to victory:

I stink at it. I have never finished inside the top 5,000. Only once have I had all five of my guys make the cut. However, I will persevere and try yet again.

Here are the rules for the site I play on (CBS Sportsline):

They have set a dollar value on every player in the field, and with a budget of $1,000,000 you have to create a five-man team that will give you more earnings then everyone else you are playing against.

Since I forgot to post a team last week, I will go right into my picks for this week:

Tim Petrovic ($79,500) – A journeyman pro who have been playing well this year including a victory in New Orleans. He is my dark horse that I just have a feeling will play well this week. In other words, he’ll miss the cut.

Ted Purdy ($88,750) – He won this year when Tiger missed the cut. Not a spectacular player, but one who has made the cut in two of the majors this year.

Tim Clark ($257,750) – 6th last week at the International combined with making the cut in all three majors makes this guy a relative value pick. In fact, I’m real happy with this one. He actually forced Chris DiMarco from the team.

Kenny Perry ($274,000) – The PGA Championship is notorious for providing good players with their lone major (such as Davis Love III and David Toms). Perry is a very good player, and has hit his stride in the last couple of years. If he is going to win a major it may as well be this one.

Tiger Woods ($300,000) – I would be shocked if there is anyone out there who does not put Tiger in their top 5. To bypass him would be ridiculous.

So there they are, and I even have $500 to spare. These are the five who will bring me days of glory or hours of agony. I guess we’ll know on Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home