.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

August 17, 2005

Fantasy Re-Cap / Preview

Before we get into the fantasy picks this week, and the results from last week, I want to take a moment to mention something about this past weekend’s final major.

Apparently, Tiger Woods took the weather delay on Sunday afternoon as the end of his tournament. He was the leader in the clubhouse when the storms hit on Sunday evening, and with the inconsistent play the leaders were demonstrating, there was an outside shot that he could have been in a playoff.

Instead of spending one more night at Baltusrol, Tiger instead headed out of town while leading the golf tournament (he had posted the best 72 hole score to date, so according to golf terms, he was the leader in the clubhouse). This really bothers me. I don’t doubt that he was confident that he would not have shot at a playoff, but come on. This is the final major of the year, you have already won two of them, and let’s face it; the game of golf is a strange one. Who knows what would have happen.

I just wish that everyone else out on the course agreed to finish at 2-under and decide it in a playoff, and Tiger had to deal with the bad publicity. Just not good form as far as I am concerned.

Anyway, the team of Woods, Clark, Perry, Petrovic, and Purdy did not do great for me, but they did not do terrible either. Four of them made the cut (Tim Petrovic was the score we threw out) and earned me a total of $556,700 which was good for 17,670th place. Not a strong showing, but one that we can hopefully build upon.

This week is unique in that there are actually two tournaments taking place. The no-cut NEC Championship (part of the World Golf Championships), and the Reno-Tahoe open (a regular tour event where the top 70 make the weekend). Given that I do not want to risk not having 5 players make a check this week, I will focus my attention on the NEC at Firestone Country Club in Akron, Ohio. This week’s roster includes:

Tiger Woods ($300,000) – I know I ripped him, but he is still playing well, and has had success at this course.

Tim Clark ($245,500) – Solid performance last year, and really throughout the entire season makes this a no brainer pick.

John Daly ($163,500) – Not a great track record here, but this is a long course that favors aggressive play. Usually a good combination for Long John.

Jose Maria Olazabal (157,000) – Before the major technology revolution that golf is currently enduring, Jose dominated this event. He has seen a bit of a resurgence this year in his game, and he is a great value pick.

Ted Purdy (118,000) – Ted’s excellent adventure continues after a strong showing at the PGA Championship. Gotta play the hot hand.

I know I will have five players who will earn me money this week, now let’s hope that they earn me enough to crack the top 15,000.

4 Comments:

At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that I agree with you 100%. You might like this golf irons golf site that I came across. Thanks again for your insight.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Sports Junky said...

I agree,

I love PGA. and recently I have bought stock in it. Not like real stock on Wall street, but a stock market that is strictly for sports.

You have seen it? Its pretty cool. You buy issues for your favorite golfers and you make real money. Not like a fake stock simulator. I cash out Dividends each time your golfer plays in a tournament. Also I can sell my players stock when the price goes up.

check it out if something like this interests you.
heres a link http://allsportstrading.com

This site has lots of data about dividends and game pots and golfers. It also has alot of information about how the market works.



See you there!
-Erik

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home