.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

August 16, 2005

Rule of the Week - Just Hit The Damn Ball

Today is not really a rule, but rather a point of contention. The pace of play for the typical round of golf has gotten rediculous.

Let's all try to do a better job of playing 'Ready Golf'. If your playing companion is not ready to hit and you are, go ahead. We aren't playing for major championships, and it is usually a round amongst friends.

A round of golf should take 4 hours (4:30 at the max). If you are ready, go ahead. Everyone will have a better time.

6 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger Roch101 said...

Hello Guru,

A question for you: I hooked the ball on my second shot of a par four. My ball landed on the green of a neighboring hole (nearly went in the cup) and came to rest on the neighboring green. I had a line to the intended green but didn't want to hit a wedge from the green I was on. What is the rule? The greens were close to each other, but not connected. What would the rule be if my ball had gone in the cup of the wrong hole?

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Patrick Eakes said...

You should take a drop to the nearest point off the green, no closer to the hole you are playing. If it is not in the USGA rules, consider it a local rule.

Now that I have butted into the Guru's answer space, I will add a bravo to his ready golf suggestion.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger The Grunkle Guru said...

Roch:

Patrick is right. I have not seen it as a rule of golf according to the USGA, but it is one of those common courtesy things. Greens are very difficult to maintain, and taking a chunk out with a wedge is just uncool.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Roch101 said...

Apparently, it is a rule. From my dad and golfing buddy:

Rule 25-3,b Wrong Putting Green: Relief:

"If a player's ball lies on the wrong putting green he must not play
the ball as it lies. He must take relief, without penalty, as follows:

The player must lift the ball and drop it within one club-length of and
not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest
point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green. When
dropping the ball within one club-length of the nearest point of
relief, the ball must first strike a part of the course at a spot that
avoids interference by the wrong putting green and is not in a hazard
and not on a putting green. The ball may be cleaned when lifted under
this Rule." (USGA THE RULES OF GOLF 2004-2005)

 
At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that I agree with you 100%. You might like this callaway golf golf site that I came across. Thanks again for your insight.

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a place just like that golf vacation package

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home