.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

August 08, 2005

Weekend Re-Cap August 6 & 7

This past week was a pretty big one in the world of golf with only the LPGA taking a break from official action.

PGA TourRetief Goosen won the International being played in the mile-high air of Denver, Colorado. The big story from this week was the Sunday conditions. The weather was perfect, but they had to play 36 holes at high elevation over a very hilly and long course. This event is typically a test of fitness to begin with (most caddies use the light stand bags in lieu of the 40 – 50 pound tour bag carried on most weeks), but it was taken to new levels with the 36-hole marathon.

Special Note: A big thank you to The Golf Channel for picking up the CBS telecast on the east coast so that us sadistic golf nuts could see how the tournament played out.

LPGA Tour – Officially they were on a break, but LPGA citizen #1 (Annika Sorrenstam) continued her worldwide dominance winning a European LPGA event over Ben Rothlisberger’s girlfriend Natalie Gulbis.

Champions Tour – In the 50+ circuit, Tom Purtzer closed the deal and won the 3M Championship.

USGA – Morgan Pressel, the 17 year old who came in second at the Women’s US Open won the US Women’s Amateur in dominating fashion 9 & 8. She has been critical of Michelle Wie in the past for playing in mostly professional events, and if those two had met on a Sunday with a national championship on the line it could have been quite interesting.

While all this was exciting, the tournament of the week was on what most consider to be the minor-league circuit.

Nationwide Tour – Remember Jason Gore? He was the guy who was in the final round of the U.S. Open a few months back (previous post here), who instead of taking advantage of sponsor’s exemptions for the PGA Tour, opted to return to the Nationwide Tour and continue to hone his game. He has played in four events since the Open:

Event 1 – Tenth place finish
Event 2 – Victory
Event 3 – Victory
Event 4 (This week) – Victory

Four events, three wins, and the coveted battlefield promotion. Jason Gore is now fully exempt on the PGA Tour for the remainder of this year and all of 2006. Oh yeah, he shot 59 on Friday and 63 on Sunday (including 8 birdies in a row at one point). This guy can get hot and go low. Let’s just hope he can develop some consistency to sustain a life on the PGA Tour.

I have really grown into a fan of Gore, not so much for what he did during the Open, and how he was very good at connecting with the fans, but rather for his decision to go back to the Nationwide Tour and earn his way to the big leagues.

I think second place finisher Roger Tambellini said it best, “It's good to get him off this tour and onto the tour he should be on.”

Good luck Jason, now go get it.

1 Comments:

At 3:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Help me if you can I'm feeling down" - I also think I must be lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him on the golf course yesterday. Now this is strange because usually I see him in the supermarket.

Honest really, last time I saw him there he was right in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new lcd tv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a lcd tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger.

Then I'm gonna go home, put ma dancin' suit on, munch me some uppers and freak out to that maaaaaaaaad surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on ma lcd tv .

How cool is that boy?

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home