.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

September 22, 2005

A Day Late & $992,250.00 Short

Forgot to post my picks for this week’s Valero Texas Open, so here we go. This is a tough week on many different fronts. First, the President’s Cup is taking place, which eliminates many of the high dollar solid picks. Second, this is the time of year when players come out of nowhere to win and secure their tour cards (prime example, Jason Gore last week who I had on my roster). Finally, there is this little storm in the Gulf of Mexico known as Rita. If she stays the course that forecasters have her on, San Antonio will not experience any real issues, but you never know. Given everything that could happen, I would not be surprised to see this event shortened to 36 or 54 holes, but we’ll have to wait and see. Anyway, here are my picks for this week’s event:

Charles Howell III – San Antonio is an expensive city, and you better be a millionaire if you want to get things accomplished.

Ted Purdy – Has been a solid pick before, and the weaker field makes him a strong pick.

J.L. Lewis – Don’t know why I have him on my roster, other then to say I have a feeling about him this week.

Carl Pettersson – If he is in the field, he is on my roster. I know him from my golf pro days, and since he is pushing to keep his card, he is a good pick.

Omar Uresti – A Texan, who I also have had the pleasure of meeting in the past. Just a really nice guy, who I think will do well this week.

There you go, 5 PGA Tour stars for the low price of only $992,250. I just hope they all make the cut.

This week we also have the President’s Cup up the road in Virginia. I don’t know why, but I don’t get into this as much as the Ryder Cup. I think it is because our opponent does not have a bond like the European’s do. It is hard for a team made up of players from Fiji, Canada, South Africa, and Australia to bond into a strong cohesive unit. This is even more so nowadays since our opponents this week play mostly on the PGA Tour, and live in the United States. It just doesn’t have the same feel.

Regardless, I think it will be a good match that will come down to the final day. U.S. wins by 3 points.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home