.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

October 31, 2005

PGA Recap - Congrats to the Sweedish Redneck

For some time now Carl Pettersson has been on the PGA Tour, with mixed reviews. However, after yesterdays round, he can now be called Champion.

Carl shot a final round even-par 71 to earn his first PGA Tour victory at the Chrysler Championship held at the Innisbrook Resort outside of Tampa. The win gives him quite a few perks including a two-year exemption on the PGA Tour, and invite to the Mercedes Championship to start the season next year, and if he has a strong finish next week at the final event of the year, he can finish in the top-40 on the money list and earn an invite to the Masters.

I’m not going to claim to know Carl well, but I do know him from my days as an assistant pro at Starmount Forest Country Club when his family had a membership and he was a star player for the Grimsley golf team. I played and practiced some with Carl during that time, and I always saw that something extra that all winners have.

It is nothing tangible, or something that you can quantify, but he had that grit. That something extra that you see when someone has a lofty goal and will do whatever is necessary to achieve it.

So congratulations Carl. You have done Greensboro proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home