.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

October 25, 2005

Rule of the Week - The Legend of Stonehands Johnson

Let me set the scene for you. The Grunkle Guru has played masterful golf for 4 days and now sits on the 18th hole tied for the lead in the Springfield Open. After a masterful drive and solid second shot, he now has 10’ for birdie and the win.

Upon reaching the green our lovable hero marks his ball and tosses it to Jimmy ‘stonehands’ Johnson who proceeds to drop the ball and watch it roll down the slope into the depths of the pond bordering the green. As the ball sinks into the muck below, a look of desperation falls upon the Guru.

“Don’t worry,” says Stonehands. “I have another ball right here, and it is the same make as that other one. No problem with the one-ball rule.”

Trusting his caddy, our hero takes the replacement ball and drops the putt for a Cinderella-type victory.

Upon reaching the scoring tent an official is waiting for the Guru and tells him he has violated the rules of golf. What rule did he breach?

Under rule 16-1b, a ball that has been marked may not be replaced with a substitute ball. The Guru is assessed a two-stoke penalty and loses the golf tournament. Stonehands is fired on the spot, and any caddy hired in the future must be able to either catch a golf ball, or know how to swim so he can retrieve those dropped.

4 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Patrick Eakes said...

Great rule clarification, Guru. I recall, as I am sure you do, when a caddy went swimming in Europe to retrieve a ball from a nearby pond.

 
At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger The Grunkle Guru said...

Patrick:

I do remember the European Tour incident, but I also think it happened at the Players Championship a few years back on like hole 7. Anyone else remember that?

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Sports Junky said...

I agree,

I love European PGA. and recently I have bought stock in it. Not like real stock on Wall street, but a stock market that is strictly for sports.

You have seen it? Its pretty cool. You buy issues for your favorite golfers and you make real money. Not like a fake stock simulator. I cash out Dividends each time your golfer plays in a tournament. Also I can sell my players stock when the price goes up.

check it out if something like this interests you.
heres a link http://allsportstrading.com

This site has lots of data about dividends and game pots and golfers. It also has alot of information about how the market works.



See you there!
-Erik

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home