.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The GrunkleGuru

Grunkle is a slang term for the thick rough on a golf course that I have been using for many years. Given my penchant for inaccurate tee balls, I have become a bit of a guru out of the thick stuff, hence the name. This is a site for my random thoughts about sports (espeically golf) and life in general. While nothing special, it will hopefully offer a break from the daily drudgery for both you and me.

January 12, 2006

Salary Cap Cup - Sony Open

With the first full-field event of 2006 getting ready to get underway in Hawaii today, it is time to bring back one of my favorite sections from last year. This year it is known as the Salary Cap Cup, and basically, it is an opportunity for me to pick 5 golfers per week and see how my prognostication stands up against at least 25,000 other people.

To say 2005 was a success would be a bold-faced lie, so I won’t. I will however say that I got better as the season went on, so maybe I learned a little something through trial and error. Anyway, the rules are simple. Each week I have $1,000,000 to spend on golfers in the field for that week. A golfers ranking is based on his salary for the year, world rankings, and almost surely popularity. The best player in the field is valued at $300,000, and players drop in value to a minimum of $75,000. Results are based on money earned in the event ($1 = 1pt). Additionally, bonus points are awarded for leading after the first, second, and third round.

Player loyalty plays a factor as well because if you have a low-earning player and he has a good week, his value will go up for those who wish to sign him to their roster, but you have them for the original signing price. For instance, if you had Jason Gore when he first got his battlefield promotion from the Nationwide Tour, you most likely signed him for $75,000. After his win at the 84 Lumber Classic, his value would go up substantially (I think it was $145,000), so in essence you had and extra $70,000 you could spend on your roster over your competition.

Now that you know the rules, here is who I signed for this week:

Vijay Singh ($300,000) – Singh won here last week, and has always played well in the Aloha state. No reason to think that this will not continue.

David Toms ($287,000) – If the wind blows, you want someone who hits the ball consistently, and there is no better ball-striker on a regular basis then Toms.

Joe Ogilvie ($209,000) – It doesn’t help him any that he is a Duke alum, but Joe had a breakout year last year and there is no reason to think this will not continue.

Ryan Moore ($118,000) – The question with this rising star is not if he will win on tour, but when. Let’s hope it is this week.

Aaron Baddeley ($85,500) – Remember when “Bads” turned pro few years back, and everyone thought he would be the next great golfer? Well, it would not be surprising if you did forget him as he has taken some time to mature into his game. That being said, my sources tell me he is hitting the ball better then ever and has dedicated himself to his craft this year.

So, if you add it all up, I got $999,500 in players teeing it up this week. Let’s see what kind of dividends they pay out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home